Jungle Barbie: run wild in fashion, beauty, health, hair and style: Question of the Day: How long Should I keep my protective hairstyles?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Question of the Day: How long Should I keep my protective hairstyles?

Happy Wednesday Barbies and Kens!!!! Hope the week is going well for you. What hairstyle have you been wearing and or loving this week? I have been loving my protective 2 strand twists.


The question of the day is concerning protective hairstyles and how long they should be worn. Do you often wear protective hairstyles? What is your favorite protective style? How long do you wear them for? How do you care for your hair while it is in such a hairstyle?

I will go ahead and answer these questions as well. Even though protective hairstyles main purpose is to protect your hair and maintain moisture, if kept too long it can also ruin your hair, hairline and scalp. I usually keep my protective styles in for a week tops. I think if you leave it in longer it can be dangerous for your hair as well as your scalp. Leaving your hair in these styles for long periods of time can deplete your hair of moisture, develop a stench as your hair have less breathing room and air passing through  as well as create scalp issues.
 I like to oil my hair while it is in protective styles. I also change my hairstyle quite often and do not let my hair sit there in neglect. This is just what I do when my hair is in protective styles it may var from person to person because it depends on your hair and it's needs.

NB: You may also suffer from receding hairline or thinning hairline if you pull your hair too tight when you do these styles. Try to be very careful.

Hope this helped. Please remember to check out my Youtube channel for step by step hair tutorials. Have questions or and concerns, email me at synethiae@gmail.com.

Thank you for reading. Please leave your comments below and  be a Barbie friend to get trendy hairstyles and useful haircare tips. Until tomorrow, stay fab and be creative.
Love,
Syn

5 comments:

  1. your hair looks awesome! i so need to get on my protective styles,i know better :-/


    theMANEtopic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think they are important and necessary if done without abuse.

      Delete
  2. yes kinda learning this the hard way!love you hair @ any suggestions on thining locs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your locks may be thinning for various reasons. I find the Jamaican Black Castor Oil and the Grogonics DHT Hair Grow and Wild products help well with that. How often do you retwist your locks? What method do you use? How do you style your hair?

      Delete
  3. i go to a loctician every 2 months,palm roll,up-dos but i havent went to her for a while because i refer my friend to her and her locs start thinning si i examine mines and realize they were thining too,so i am looking at your vids to learn to take care of my hair myself so thanks for all the information you have and can give!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...