Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tame those Edges


There are quite a few products on the market that you can use to sleek you edges down. I like to see  polished edges because I think it makes the hairstyle looks neater. Here are 3 products that I am using or have used on my edges to make them neater during my styling process. Each has it's pros and cons and the results may vary depending on you hair type.

Disclaimer: This is based on my experience with the products. You may have different results.

1) Olive Oil Edge Control: This product is currently my favourite to tame my edges when I am in between grooming.
Source

Pros


  • Good hold
  • Moisturizing
  • Good smell
  • Easy to apply


Cons

Because of it's consistency, the Edge Control tends to leave your edges sticky and thus result in build up. If you experience this and you have locks you may try using my dry shampoo on a cotton pad to remove the excess product without washing your hair. To see my DIY Dry shampoo, click here.

2) Olive Oil Ecostyler Gel: I have a love hate relationship with this product because
Source

Pros


  • Great hold
  • Good smell
  • Easy to apply

Cons

Not moisturizing  and tend to leave my edges dry. To prevent the product from drying out my edges, I usually apply some oil to my edges and then the gel. I find that this reduces the hold and defeats the purpose of using the gel.
Leave a thin brown film on my edges and build up very quickly on my locks. It is a little harder to remove than the Edge Control.

3) Softsheen Carson Let Jam: I like this product and swore by it back in the day.
Source

Pros


  • Do not cause build up
  • Light weight
  • Easy to apply
  • Smells great


Cons


  • Weak hold
  • Very Oily
  • Contribute to facial breakouts. 

What products do you usually use to tame your edges?

Thank you for reading. Remember to become a Barbie friend to get trendy hairstyles, useful hair care tips, fashion ideas and health tip. Until tomorrow, stay fab and be creative.
XOXO,
Syn

8 comments:

  1. I noticed that your edges are very neat at all times. It gives you a high maintence look. I have really thick hair & my edges can get out control quickly. I normally use the eco styling gel mixed with whatever oil I have on hand. So i'll give the edge control a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like the ecostyler gel but alone it's not old for my hair. Let me know what you think of the edge control.

      Delete
  2. ive been using the cantu lock and twist gel.. works great on holding the edges as well as my twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heard of it but have never tried it. Ill try to look for it online and give it a try.

      Delete
  3. Wish I had read this before buying a whole tub of EcoStyler gel. I never had a problem with dandruff and I've always been on the oiler side of things with hair and skin. But this products within two days of use gave me flakes, flakes, and more flakes. And my roots feel dry and undermoisterized - which is very unusual for my roots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had the ecostyler gel.

    the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

🌸 Spring Clean Your Brushes with ELF Cleanser Wipes & New Brushes

Happy Hump day Barbies and Kens!!!! Today, I want to share some new brushes I received from ELF Cosmetics . Spring is here and I would sug...